Their are many different versions of the Gastric bypass surgery, but in short, it is a procedure that divides the stomach into a small upper pouch and a lower pouch. Thus creating a reduction in the functional volume of food the stomach can hold, creating an altered physiological and physical response to food.
The operation is used to treat obesity, type two diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea and other issues arising from obesity.
– Weight loss of 65 to 80% of excess body weight
– Hyperlipidemia is corrected in over 70% of patients.
(hyperlipidemia is the condition of abnormally elevated levels of any or all lipids and/or lipoproteins in the blood)
– Essential Hypertension is relieved in over 70% of patients and medication is usually reduced in the remainder.
– Obstructive Sleep Apnea is improved with weight loss snoring is improved in most patients
– Type 2 diabetes is reversed in up to 90% of patients
– Gastroesophageal reflux disease is relieved from the time of surgery in almost all patients.
– Venous thromboembolic disease signs such as leg swelling are improved
– Lower back pain and joint pain are relieved following weight loss
A laparoscopic adjustable band or lap band is a device placed around the top portion of the stomach to create a smaller stomach pouch. This restricts the amount of food that can be consumed at one time and the client achieves weight loss by limiting intake, reducing appetite and slowing digestion. The lap band procedure is the least invasive surgery of it’s kind and typically results in a shorter hospital stay, faster recovery, smaller scars and less pain than open surgical procedures.
Gastric sleeve in the permanent reduction of the stomach by 60% to 85%The portion left behind is a slim tube or “sleeve” that will serve as your new stomach. This stomach is already connected naturally to the stomach inlet and outlet which means that no rerouting of the intestines is needed.
Gastric sleeve surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) is one of the newer forms of bariatric surgery but has quickly been gaining popularity over the recent years. Also known as vertical sleeve gastrectomy, vertical gastroplasty or sleeve gastroplasty, this procedure is another option for those looking to help with their morbid obesity through gastric bypass surgery. The gastric sleeve is a restrictive procedure meaning that it achieves weight loss results by restricting the amount of food that your body is physically able to take in. There is no malabsorption involved with this procedure but can be followed up with a malabsorptive procedure afterwards if the patient wishes.
Advantages of the Gastric Sleeve
The primary features of gastric sleeve surgery are reducing the size of the stomach up to 85%, to restrict food intake while also reducing the hormones that create the craving for food due to the removal of the excess stomach portion. This reduces the production of the Ghrelin hormone which in turn reduces the hunger sensation.
- 30 to 60% extra weight loss within the first 12 months of the procedure
- Less invasive than gastric bypass
- No cutting or, disconnection or alteration of the intestines
- No risk of “dumping syndrome” typically associated with gastric bypass
- No need for implementation of foreign devices in to the body such as a gastric band
- Less restrictive post-surgery diet
- Procedure may be followed by gastric bypass or duodenal switch for even better results for super obese patients (those with a BMI > 70)
- Can be performed laparoscopically on extremely obese patients
Sample Package – Comfort Care for gastric Sleeve, in Belgium $8,250
- – 2 nights hotel accommodation, pre and post operative.
- – Airport pick up and drop off as well as all hospital appointments
- – Private nursing aftercare
- – Pre Operation tests (weight, height, blood tests results, EKG)
- – Doctor consultation
- – One night Hospital Stay
- – Medication
By traveling abroad clients have the potential to save themselves thousands of dollars and/or long wait times. In addition, the client can enjoy a relaxing vacation and recover in private.
We at Gateway Health pride our selves on offering customized care to suit your individual desires. For example, should you wish to recover in the South of France, which is a short 60 minute train ride away or enjoy the tropical winds of Costa Rica we will find the appropriate recovery for you through a network of hotels and recovery lodges. We can also arrange private nursing care, stays at recovery centers, companion care and concierge service.
Types of Weight loss surgery available:
- – Gastric Band/ Lap Band
- – Gastric Plication
- – Gastric Sleeve
- – Gastric Mini Bypass
- – Gastric RNY/ Gastric Bypass
- – Duodenal Switch
|Gastric Bypass||$30,000||5 year wait list||$12,500||$10,950||$9,500|
|Gastric Sleeve||$28,700||not available||$10,500||$10,000||$8,500|
|Lap Band||$30,000||5 year wait list||$8,500||$6,500||$6,000|